Our experience is that a loss can sometimes be prevented. See below for some preventative practices.
Outside Your Home
- Clean eaves troughs and downspouts to ensure proper drainage
- Repair damage on the outside of your home, including cracks or storm damage
- Caulk window trim and door frames
- Check your roof and flashing for repairs
- Install weather stripping on exterior doors and windows
- Winterize your pool or hot tub
- In the Fall, turn off the water supply to outdoor taps after the taps have been left open to drain completely. Leave the taps in the open position until Spring.
- Always clear snow away from the foundation of your house
Inside Your Home
- Check heat-duct and water-pipe insulation
- Inspect any washing machine and dishwasher hoses for cracks or leads, and clean the filters
- Learn location of and how to use the water shut-off valve
- Have the furnace and air conditioner professionally serviced annually
- Have any chimneys cleaned annually and repaired as needed